Pets at a Cookout? Better Keep a Lookout!

Pets at a Cookout? Better Keep a Lookout!

Grilling, barbeque or cook-out—whatever you call it, putting food on the grill with friends and family is one of the best parts of summer. But there are risks for your pet, so make sure you keep these safety tips in mind.

  • The National Fire Prevention Association recommends that pets (and kids) be kept at least three feet away from the grill. You should make sure the charcoal fluid is out of their reach as well—it can be toxic if ingested.
  • Cooked meat bones can splinter and become hazardous if swallowed, causing airway or intestinal blockage. Make sure your guests know not to give them to your pets.
  • Corn cobs are a cook-out staple—but don’t give those cobs to the dog! Many dogs don’t shred the cobs when the eat them, and instead, swallow large pieces whole. Complicating matters is the fact that corn cobs don’t show up on X-rays, so a diagnosis often can’t be made until after more specialized (and yes, more expensive) tests confirm the problem. At that point, surgery is the only solution.
  • Got a grease-trapper on your grill? Make sure it is removed promptly after cooking. Many pets find these drippings irresistible and if they consume them, could wind up with severe stomach upset or pancreatitis, which can be a very serious or even deadly condition in some pets.
  • Wood skewers, cooking utensils, and used foil can be considered tasty treats by a dog or cat, but are dangerous if ingested, causing punctures and obstructions in the gastrointestinal system.
  • Booze is a barbeque no-no for pets. Alcohol can dangerously intoxicate your pet and could result in coma or in severe cases, respiratory failure. Yes, this includes beer—fermented hops and ethanol are poisonous to both dogs and cats.

Don’t wait if you think has eaten something dangerous while you’re grilling out! Contact us at 405-348-6580.

Leave a Comment

Name*

Email* (never published)

Website