ANIMAL CARE ATTENDANT
REPORTS TO: Owner or Practice Manager
Kennel staff members are responsible for proper feeding and care of all hospitalized or boarded animals, including cleanliness of cages, runs and ward areas.
- Provides compassionate care to patients.
- Receives animals to be admitted, is responsible for their proper identification and for recording their respective locations.
- Releases animals to their owners as directed by the doctor; ensures that every animal released is clean and properly groomed.
- Follows a regular schedule for cleaning and sanitizing all cages, runs, wards and related areas; changes litter boxes.
- Feeds each animal as prescribed by the attending doctor and records appetites.
- Gives baths, and grooms as directed by the doctor.
- Collects urine and fecal specimens as directed by the doctor.
- Administers oral & injectable medications to patients as directed.
- Recognizes and records any unusual condition or abnormal behavior; observes animals recovering from anesthesia.
- Assists doctors, nurses, technicians with the administration of medications or with restraint.
- Keeps the kitchen area clean and neat.
- Maintain storage and other areas as directed.
- Perform other duties as requires.
- Assists other staff members as required.
- Performs other duties as determined by the doctors.
- Attends clinic sponsored events such as client education events, community outreach, pet health fairs and any other events requested by management
- Performs other duties as assigned such as accuracy of client and pet data, exam room stocking, bathing/grooming, back office organization, teamwork, problem-solving, participation in staff meetings and special projects and assignments as needed
- Attain at least 2 continuing education credit each quarter.
Minimum 16 years old.
High school degree or in the process of attaining.
No specific experience is required but a candidate for this position should be willing and able to:
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Maintain good and cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Clean equipment and facilities, using materials and equipment with skill and efficiency.
- Perform moderately heavy physical labor.
- Learn to administer medications and recognize abnormal conditions.
- Genuinely enjoys working with animals and is able to deal with them even when they are stressed or ill or in pain.
- Is able to work effectively with doctors.
- Is experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all hospital staff members.
- Has excellent client communication skills.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying animals (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs). Walks or stands for extended periods or time; frequently works in a bent position.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
Please fill out the form and upload your cover letter and resume on the previous page