Protect Your Pets from Rodenticide and Antifreeze Poisoning

Protect Your Pets from Rodenticide and Antifreeze Poisoning

As the weather turns colder, our pets are more likely to encounter two deadly poisons: rodenticide and antifreeze.

Rats, mice and other rodents are out in droves in the fall. This time of year, they seek warmer shelter, and so many head for our homes. While rodents can be a nuisance, try to avoid using poisons to get rid of them. Anything that is poisonous to rodents is poisonous to your pets, too! Your pet doesn’t even have to eat the poison directly; your pet could be poisoned by getting a hold of a dead rodent that was killed with rodenticide.

Antifreeze tastes sweet to pets, so they think it’s a delicious snack. Even very small amounts can be deadly. The poisonous substance in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, so to limit your pet’s danger, you could switch to an antifreeze that instead contains propylene glycol. Most importantly, don’t leave your pet unattended around your vehicle when it’s colder outside.

If you catch your pet carrying a rodent or licking up antifreeze, keep an eye on him. If he starts vomiting or acting strangely, call us as soon as you can. Rapid treatment can save your pet’s life.