Most of our clients succeed in keeping their pets safe over the holidays. We do see a few incidents of chocolate consumption and foreign body ingestions, however. Hopefully all of your pets will have a very happy holiday season and won’t incur any unexpected expenses.
Keep these safety tips in mind to protect your pets this winter:
- Consider leaving the tinsel off your tree if you have a cat.
- Secure your Christmas tree to keep it from falling over if your dog bumps it or your cat climbs it; hanging lemon-scented car air fresheners in the tree may deter your cat from scaling it.
- Keep holiday plants (especially holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and lilies) out of pets’ reach; they are highly toxic to animals.
- Certain holiday decorations can also be dangerous. Lights and glass ornaments contain toxic chemicals that cause internal irritation and bleeding. Owners should avoid placing decorations where their pets can chew on or eat them.
- Do not let your pets consume treats containing chocolate, xylitol, grapes/raisins, onions, currants, macadamia nuts or walnuts. Ingesting them can result in upset stomachs, heart arrhythmia, kidney failure and seizures.
- Keep an eye out for loose electrical cords. Pets may chew through the rubber coating, causing electrocution or burns.
- Don’t leave your pet alone in a room with lit candles.
- If your pet is excitable or scared when you have company, consider providing a safe place for your pet to escape the excitement, such as a separate room, kennel, crate, perching place, scratching post shelf or hiding place.
- Watch those alcoholic drinks! Unattended drinks may result in a dangerously drunk pet. It doesn’t take much for small animals to get alcohol poisoning.
- Don’t forget that your dog or cat might like to mark the Christmas tree or other floor decorations.